The truth is that hardwood floors are quite difficult to maintain in the long term, as well as cleaning the, you do not want to ruin the grain or the beauty they hold. Various home care guides will tell you to vacuum you floors at least once a week, regardless of what type of floor you have – especially if you have a wood floor. However, you cannot use any type of vacuum cleaner; even the choice of cleaner will affect the cleanliness of the floor.
For the record, we are not trying to persuade you into choosing a hardwood floor vacuum that is effective, but rather to answer the question of whether canister vacuums are good for your hardwood floors, or whether you should go for upright ones (a commonly asked question in many forums).
The answer to this question is not straightforward, as you need to understand the pros and cons of each, and this will help you to know the best option.
These are the ultimate combination of versatile suction ability and easy transportation, since they are less likely to disperse debris and dirt, making them a good choice for bare floors in general. However, they do have some disadvantages as well.
- They can fit almost anywhere you want them in terms of cleaning abilities. In fact, many of them will have a variety of attachment heads to help you when you want to clean the floor sections under your furniture, as well as tight corners along the baseboard, which makes cleaning so much easier for you. Many of their attachments are also highly specialized to take care of specific surfaces, including hardwood.
- They are perfectly designed for transportation, since most of the weight is focused in the canister. You will find it very easy to use and store, and it will not take up tons of space that you could use for something else. This makes it easier to keep them behind your kitchen or any other storage area once you are done using them.
- Since they do not disperse debris in the air, they are a great cleaning option if you happen to suffer from asthma or allergies, as well as homes that have pets that shed fur everywhere.
- This might seem minor, but you might not like the idea of dragging a canister vacuum behind you the entire time. Because of this, they are troublesome when you are trying to clean areas of your house with high traffic, like your kitchen.
- They also have less power in their motors. The thing you need to remember about cheaper canister cleaners, is mainly that you are trading less space with suction power – the less space the cleaner takes, the less suction it has. This eventually leaves the floor feeling gritty after you clean, and this wears away the finish. The advantage of upright vacuums though is that they will have more power to finish the job, but they are heavier and more cumbersome.
- They get the job of cleaning done, and they always do it well. this makes them quite the popular choice for people with busy households, as well as commercial spaces that accumulate a lot of dirt quickly.
- They also make easy transitions between the hardwood floors and your carpets, because you only have to press a switch in most cases, instead of tons of attachments. Since they also have less attachments, it is also easy to clean a house with them, because they feature all-round cleaning for various surfaces.
- They are heavy, and that can get discouraging. If you have ever tried to carry an upright vacuum cleaner up a staircase, then you will understand this.
- They also take up a lot of space, unlike the canister vacuum cleaners. This makes them difficult when it comes to transporting them around, as well as storing them – it mainly boils down to portability vs power issues.
- Their beater bar is probably the worst disadvantage when you are handling wood floors. This beater bar damages the floor severely; even though your cleaner has a switch that turns it off, you might forget to do so and the floor suffers immensely.
In the case of hardwood floors, it is best to use a canister vacuum considering the information above. You can move around with them easier, get them into tighter corners, and the risk of damaging the floor is very low, which helps to keep your floors pristine and last longer. In case you might want to have something more unique and still gives your floor a good cleaning without damaging it, you might want to consider backpack vacuum cleaners, as they are very easy to carry and are still powerful enough.