Buying a good vacuum cleaner is a tricky business, because you are not always sure of the best ones to go for. One such instance is comparing some of the best vacuum cleaners in the form of Kirby vs. Rainbow vs. Miele, which are all similar in some ways but different in others.
If you are thinking of getting any of these three, we have done much of the hard work for you to help you to make an informed decision according to your lifestyle and living situation. Regardless of whether you have a big house or a small apartment, there are some factors to keep in mind – and we will look into the best three you can get.
What you should look for
- Upright vacuums – are best when you want something affordable, comfortable to use, and reliable enough to last for a number of years without needing replacements. They also work well on various surfaces and carpets, even if you have young kids or pets around. They also are more convenient than a bagged vacuum cleaner, without the expensive price.
- Canister vacuums – are expensive, but will make your floors very clean, so they are great if you have asthma or allergies. Among their features include powerful motors, cleaning of clogs and tangles, and require minimal maintenance aside from replacing the filters and bags. Just avoid them if you have many hairy pets, since the bags will be very expensive to replace.
- Cordless vacuums – this is the perfect choice for smaller homes that have cramped floors, as they will be easier to use and much lighter than corded vacuums.
Kirby vacuum cleaner reviews
The Kirby Company has built their reputation for more than 50 years in terms of their vacuum cleaner business, and this has made their high-quality products stay in demand. Therefore, you will not expect to find them at cheap prices – with some of their cleaners going for at least $1500 and more. In fact, they are so expensive, many people opt to pay for them in installments if they cannot afford them, through third-party financiers.
The company offers two coverages on their products;
- Limited warranty – 3 years, is non-transferable and covers various manufacturer defects
- Lifetime Rebuild Program – covers any costs that you will incur when you want to refurbish the machine and perform maintenance work. It costs at least $100, with the price increasing each year.
If you cannot afford a brand-new Kirby cleaner, you can buy a refurbished one, as they will cost about a half or a quarter of the original price. The only downside is the lack of a warranty coverage in this case.
The brush has stiff and long bristles, which lift debris on your carpets, regardless of what the debris is. In addition, some of their new models also have very powerful suction throughout the cleaning path.
Note that not all Kirby models share identical features, so it will depend on what you want to get out of it. For instance, the G3 has a self-propelled TechDrive system, the G5 replaces the plastic fan with a Kevlar version, and G6 has HEPA filtration.
- They have a very long lifespan (up to 20 years or more)
- Durable construction
- Can handle any type of surface
- Very heavy
- Are very expensive and challenging to maintain, unless you have the money for it
Rainbow vacuum cleaner review
This is among the oldest vacuum cleaners in the market, with its history dating back to 1936, which means that the model lives up to the expectations of many people.
The filtration system primarily uses water filtration, which is the reason it stands out, instead of the bag model, which is present in many vacuum cleaners. This allows the vacuum to pick up dust and particles effectively without spreading them into the air, as the reservoir contains water that traps all the dust coming in. It also has a HEPA filter that prevents contaminants by releasing back into the air.
Unlike many models, using this cleaner on different surfaces is quite easy. Thanks to the caster wheels, it is also easy to bend it down and move it around different surfaces – even if it lacks swivel steering.
- It uses water to trap dirt, so not filters or bags to clean
- Has bright LED lights that allow you to see where you are cleaning
- Doubles as an air purifier that sucks allergens in
- The caster wheels make it easy to move around, in spite of the weight
- Has very strong suction
- It is very expensive
- Very heavy when compared to other canister vacuum cleaners (about 20 pounds)
- Does not swivel
Originating in Germany, the company manufactures some of the best vacuum cleaners in the industry; coming in a variety of colors and shapes, you will likely find whatever design you like. However, what makes them stand out is their filtration power. That makes them a good option if you happen to struggle with allergies or asthma, or you own some pets and have to clean up their fur.
You can also get them in heavier or lightweight styles, but they still remain easy to work with. It can be very difficult to use a vacuum cleaner on staircases – but Miele cleaners are not awkward to handle. They have a nice ergonomic handle that makes it easier for you, and their attachments are also easy to attach and remove.
In addition, you can also use the power feature when vacuuming different surfaces such as upholstery, as it allows you to adjust the suction level. The powerful HEPA filter is the most recognizable feature. It prevents dust from flying back into the air, and filters out particles (even with diameters as small as 0.3 microns), as well as the blower that cleans dust from your surfaces.
- There is a wide range of canister and upright models
- Very efficient cleaning, even for deep-pile carpets
- Very powerful motor and filtration system
- Has plenty of extra tools for cleaning other surfaces
- Very easy to use and comes in different styles to suit your needs
- None noted so far
Choosing among these three might seem like a difficult task – after all, they are all premium quality vacuum cleaners. However, the best choice in our opinion is the Miele cleaner – it is not too heavy, cleans your carpets and surfaces well, and you can find a design and price range that suits your needs.