Buying a good vacuum cleaner is tricky business. Searching the market through the seemingly endless selection is far from easy. If you don’t know what to look for, then you might end up buying a vacuum that’s a poor fit for your home. A good place to start is by looking at some of the most respected and top brands of vacuum cleaners.
In this article, we’ll be taking a look at some of the best vacuum cleaners from 3 different brands – Kirby, Rainbow, and Miele. We’ll be comparing Kirby vs. Rainbow vs. Miele, and give an overview on strengths, weaknesses, comparisons, which is best suitable for your home, and more.
If you’re thinking of getting a Kirby, Miele, or Rainbow vacuum, we’ve done all the hard work for you so that you can make an informed decision that best suits your lifestyle and living situation. Regardless of whether you have a big house or a small apartment, there are certain factors to keep in mind – and we’ll look into the best choice for you.
What To Look For
- Upright Vacuums – Best when you want something affordable, comfortable to use, and reliable enough to last for a number of years without needing replacements or repairs. They also work well on various surfaces and carpets, even if you have young kids or pets around. They also are more convenient than a bagged vacuum cleaner, without the expensive price.
- Canister Vacuums – Expensive, but will make your floors very clean. They’re also great if you have asthma or allergies. Among their features include powerful motors, deep cleaning, and require minimal maintenance aside from replacing the filters and bags. Just avoid them if you have many hairy pets, since the bags will be very expensive to replace.
- Cordless Vacuums – The perfect choice for smaller homes with smaller rooms, as they’ll be easier to use and much lighter than corded vacuums.
Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
The Kirby Company has built their reputation for more than 50 years in their vacuum cleaner business. They have high-quality products and it shows. Therefore, you shouldn’t expect to find them at cheap prices – with some of their cleaners going for at least $1500 and more. In fact, they are so expensive, many people opt to pay for them in installments if they can’t afford them, through third-party financiers.
The company offers two coverages on their products;
- Limited Warranty – 3 years, is non-transferable, and covers various manufacturer defects. If you’d like to read up more regarding the limited warranty, read here.
- Lifetime Rebuild Program – Covers any costs that you will incur when you want to refurbish the machine and perform maintenance work. It costs at least $100, prices range from $100-$400 roughly and will vary based on the model, defect, and more. However, getting a quote is very simple and easy to do. Just go to https://www.kirby.com/kirby-owner-support/lifetime-rebuild-program/ and use the contact form. Kirby will get back to you with a price estimate. Many people are happy with the rebuild program and don’t think twice about paying for a replacement. Considering many people get 20-40 years potentially or even more, the cost of a replacement is pennies in terms of the value you get with a quality Kirby vacuum cleaner.
If you can’t afford a brand-new Kirby cleaner, you can buy a refurbished one, as they will cost about a half or a quarter of the original price. The only downside is the lack of a warranty coverage when doing so.
The brush has stiff and long bristles which lift debris from your carpets, regardless of how clean, dirty, old, or new they are. In addition, their new models also have very powerful suction.
Note: Not all Kirby models share identical features, so it’ll depend on what you specifically want to get out of it or are looking for. For instance, the Kirby G3 has a self-propelled TechDrive system and the G5 replaces the plastic fan with a Kevlar version, while the G6 has HEPA filtration.
- Very long lifespan (up to 20 years or more!)
- Very durable
- Can handle any type of surface
- Very heavy
- Very expensive
- Difficult to maintain
Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner Review
This is among some of the oldest vacuum cleaners in the market, with its history dating back to 1936, so you know Rainbow vacuums live up to the expectations of many people.
The filtration system primarily uses water filtration, which is the reason it stands out – instead of the bag model, which is present in many vacuum cleaners. This allows the vacuum to pick up dust and particles effectively without spreading them into the air, as the reservoir contains water that traps all the dust coming in. It also has a HEPA filter that prevents contaminants from releasing back into the air.
Unlike many models, using this cleaner on different surfaces is quite easy. Thanks to the caster wheels, it’s also easy to bend it down and move it around different surfaces – even if it lacks swivel steering.
- Uses water to trap dirt, so no filters or bags to clean
- Has bright LED lights that allow you to see where you’re cleaning
- HEPA Filter
- Caster wheels make it easy to move around, despite weight
- Very strong suction
- Very expensive
- Heavy when compared to other canister vacuum cleaners (about 20 pounds)
- Doesn’t swivel
Originating in Germany, the company manufactures some of the best vacuum cleaners in the industry; coming in a variety of colors and shapes, you’ll easily find something that suits your needs. However, what makes them stand out is their filtration power. They are one of the best options if you happen to struggle with allergies or asthma. These are also great vacuum cleaners for pets, and will no problems sucking up loose pet hair or fur that might be scattered around your home.
You can also get them in heavier or lightweight styles, but they still are easy to work with. It can be very difficult to use a vacuum cleaner on staircases – but Miele vacuum cleaners are not awkward to handle. They have a nice ergonomic handle that makes it easier for you to move around with. Plus, their attachments are also easy to attach and remove.
In addition, you can also use the power feature when vacuuming different surfaces such as upholstery, as it allows you to adjust the suction level. The powerful HEPA filter is the most recognizable feature. It prevents dust from flying back into the air, and filters out particles (even with diameters as small as 0.3 microns), as well as a blower that cleans dust from your surfaces.
- Wide range of canister and upright models
- Very efficient cleaning, even for deep-pile carpets
- Very powerful motor and filtration system
- Has plenty of extra tools for cleaning other surfaces
- Very easy to use and comes in different styles to suit your needs
- Can be pricey, depending on the model
Choosing among these three might seem like a difficult task – after all, they are all premium quality vacuum cleaners. However, the best choice in our opinion is the Miele cleaner – it isn’t too heavy, cleans your carpets and surfaces well, and you can find a design and price range that suits your needs.