Buying a good vacuum cleaner is tricky business. Searching the market through the seemingly endless selection is far from easy. If you don’t know what to look for, then you might end up buying a vacuum that’s a poor fit for your home. A good place to start is by looking at some of the most respected and top brands of vacuum cleaners.
In this article, we’ll be taking a look at some of the best vacuum cleaners from 3 different brands – Kirby, Rainbow, and Miele.
We’ll be comparing Kirby vs. Rainbow vs. Miele, and give an overview on strengths, weaknesses, comparisons, which is best suitable for your home, and more.
If you’re thinking of getting a Kirby, Miele, or Rainbow vacuum, we’ve done all the hard work for you so that you can make an informed decision that best suits your lifestyle and living situation. Regardless of whether you have a big house or a small apartment, there are certain factors to keep in mind.
What To Look For:
- Upright Vacuums – Best when you want something affordable, comfortable to use, and reliable enough to last for a number of years without needing replacements or repairs. They also work well on various surfaces and carpets, even if you have young kids or pets around. They also are more convenient than a bagged vacuum cleaner, without the expensive price.
Both Kirby and Miele offer upright vacuums.
- Canister Vacuums – Expensive, but will make your floors very clean. They’re also great if you have asthma or allergies. Among their features include powerful motors, deep cleaning, and require minimal maintenance aside from replacing the filters and bags. Just avoid them if you have many hairy pets, since the bags will be very expensive to replace.
Rainbow vacuums are solely canister vacuums, so definitely take note of that before you’re willing to shell out the money for one.
- Cordless Vacuums – The perfect choice for smaller homes with smaller rooms, as they’ll be easier to use and much lighter than corded vacuums. Although cordless vacuums might offer a whole new world of convenience, you’ll rarely get the same cleaning power with a cordless vacuum vs a corded one. However, they have plenty of positives. They’re typically lightweight, convenient, easy to store, and save you lots of time.
It’s worth noting that out of Rainbow, Kirby, or Miele, Miele is the only company to offer a cordless vacuum as an option.
Other Important Aspects to Consider When Comparing Rainbow Vacuums vs. Kirby vs. Miele:
Weight – Kirby Vs Rainbow Vs Miele
Nobody likes using heavy vacuum cleaners. We could say the same about just about every other type of equipment. Lightweight appliances, especially home appliances such as vacuums, are something that we use on a regular basis. Long-term usage of a heavy vacuum cleaner or repetitive motion can cause pain for many people.
However, weight isn’t a 100% deciding factor in terms of ease of use, as there are certain features such as self-propulsion that can make vacuuming easy, even for heavier vacuums.
Still, it’s definitely something to consider. Even when you aren’t actually using the vacuum, you’ll still have to carry it around and store it. Even the best vacuums with the most advanced features can’t make the weight of the vacuum magically disappear, especially when picking up and moving around your home when not in use.
Vacuuming our homes is something that should be able to be achieved without causing us distress.
Weight of Rainbow Vacuum Cleaners
- Rainbow Model E2 Type 12 Black – 19 lbs
- Rainbow Model E-2 – 17 lbs
- Rainbow Model RHCS19, SRX Complete System – 17 lbs
- Rainbow Model D4C SE – 15 lbs
While not nearly as heavy as some other vacuums, they still can lean towards the heavier side. In terms of Rainbow vs Kirby in weight, Rainbow vacuums will almost always be lighter.
Weight of Kirby Vacuum Cleaners
- Kirby Avalir 2 – 23 lbs
- Kirby G4 – 23 lbs
- Kirby G5 – 23 lbs
- Kirby G6 – 23 lbs
- Kirby G10 – 35 lbs
- Kirby Sentria G10D – 35 lbs
- Kirby Sentria II – 23 lbs
As you can see, most Kirby vacuums will be very heavy, especially when considering other models and brands. It probably isn’t best to consider a Kirby vacuum cleaner if you’re elderly, have back pain, have arthritis, or otherwise might experience pain or discomfort when constantly pulling and pushing something as heavy as these vacuum cleaners.
Weight of Miele Vacuum Cleaners
- Miele Classic C1 Pure Suction – 11 lbs
- Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction – 13 lbs
- Miele Classic C1 Turbo Team – 12.9 lbs
- Miele Compact C1 Turbo Team – 14.8 lbs
- Miele Classic C1 Cat & Dog – 16 lbs
- Miele Blizzard CX1 Electro – 19 lbs
- Miele Complete C2 Hard Floor Canister Vacuum Cleaner – 19 lbs
- Miele Electro+ Canister Vacuum Marine Blue (Compact C2) – 18.7 lbs
- Miele C3 Complete – 19 lbs
- Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum – 19 lbs
- Miele Swing H1 Tactical – 9.4 lbs
- Miele Dynamic U1 Cat and Dog Upright Vacuum – 21 lbs
- Miele Triflex HX1 Battery Powered Bagless Stick Vacuum – 7.9 lbs
Miele has a wide variety of vacuum cleaners that are suitable for just about every type of user. Not only are Miele vacuums much more varied in weight, but you have plenty of options, from plenty of different models to choose from that can help you make a decision when purchasing a vacuum with its weight in mind.
In terms of Miele vs Rainbow, the weight is similar, but certain models that both Rainbow and Miele offer can be on the lighter side. If we’re talking about Miele vs Kirby, Miele will win in this vacuum weight comparison with just about every type of model. Kirby vacuums are heavy, so definitely keep this in mind if you’re looking at Kirby.
But, is weight all there is to consider? Not quite. If the vacuum has some sort of self-propelled feature, using the vacuum won’t be too difficult, especially if it’s on the heavier side.
Features – Rainbow vs Kirby vs Miele
It’s important to note the features that these top vacuums offer. These are top of the line vacuums for many reasons, so let’s take a look at what makes Kirby, Rainbow, and Miele vacuum cleaners so special and worth the money!
Rainbow – Rainbow vacuums don’t use any bags at all. You might be surprised to hear this! These vacuums use water-based filtration which is not only Eco-friendly, but also effective, cleans air, eliminates odors, and reduces allergens. These vacuums use HEPA filters, and they are replaceable.
If you’re looking for filters for the Rainbow E2 Type 12 Vacuum, you can find them here.
Kirby – Kirby vacuums use disposable HEPA filters and dust bags for filtration. Their newest and flagship model, Kirby Avalir 2, uses these.
Miele – Miele vacuums also use disposable HEPA filters and dust bags for filtration, just like Kirby does. Not only are these bags extremely affordable, but they also last a very long time. You can even purchase replacement bags for just about every Miele model online too. Miele offers a wide range of premium HEPA filters too.
Rainbow offers a very unique and environmentally friendly form of filtration.
It truly makes it stand out against both Kirby and Miele, but you have to consider if the price point is worth the excessive amount of extra money and time you’ll have to spend to obtain one of these beauties.
In our opinion, probably not. Still, there are plenty of other things to consider when comparing Kirby vs Rainbow vs Miele vacuums.
Availability – Rainbow Vacuums vs Kirby Vacuums vs Miele Vacuums
You might be thinking to yourself, I should be able to buy these vacuums somewhere online right?
The answer isn’t as simple as you might think.
Believe it or not, some of the vacuums are very hard to come by. Some of them require an in-home demonstration or specialized/authorized dealers to purchase one with a full warranty. It might be due to the very high price, or might just be how Kirby and Rexair prefer to operate. One thing is for sure, it’s certainly not as easy to obtain these vacuums around online with a full warranty.
However, if you look around, especially on Amazon, you’ll be able to find some very good deals. Although they may not be authorized by Kirby or Rainbow, you can buy some of these Kirby vacuums renewed. You can also find Rainbow vacuums renewed for ‘cheap’. By cheap we mean still very expensive, but much less than buying a brand new vacuum from either of these companies.
What about Miele? You’ll be happy to know that Miele vacuums are extremely easy to find online, with full warranty. This is a huge plus, as it cuts out a huge hassel of jumping through tons of hoops just to buy a vacuum cleaner.
Not only are Miele vacuums easily available, but you should be able to find genuine Miele vacuums, Miele replacement parts, and bags just about everywhere.
In terms of availability, Miele wins hands downs.
Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Reviews – An Overview
The Kirby Company has built their reputation for more than 50 years in their vacuum cleaner business. They have high-quality products and it shows. Therefore, you shouldn’t expect to find them at cheap prices – with some of their cleaners going for at least $1500 and more. In fact, they are so expensive, many people opt to pay for them in installments if they can’t afford them, through third-party financiers.
The company offers two coverages on their products;
- Limited Warranty – 3 years, is non-transferable, and covers various manufacturer defects. If you’d like to read up more regarding the limited warranty, read here.
- Lifetime Rebuild Program – Covers any costs that you will incur when you want to refurbish the machine and perform maintenance work. It costs at least $100, prices range from $100-$400 roughly and will vary based on the model, defect, and more. However, getting a quote is very simple and easy to do. Just go to https://www.kirby.com/kirby-owner-support/lifetime-rebuild-program/ and use the contact form. Kirby will get back to you with a price estimate. Many people are happy with the rebuild program and don’t think twice about paying for a replacement. Considering many people get 20-40 years potentially or even more, the cost of a replacement is pennies in terms of the value you get with a quality Kirby vacuum cleaner.
If you can’t afford a brand-new Kirby cleaner, you can buy a refurbished one, as they will cost about a half or a quarter of the original price. The only downside is the lack of a warranty coverage when doing so.
The brush has stiff and long bristles which lift debris from your carpets, regardless of how clean, dirty, old, or new they are. In addition, their new models also have very powerful suction.
Note: Not all Kirby models share identical features, so it’ll depend on what you specifically want to get out of it or are looking for. For instance, the Kirby G3 has a self-propelled TechDrive system and the G5 replaces the plastic fan with a Kevlar version, while the G6 has HEPA filtration.
- Very long lifespan (up to 20 years or more!)
- Very durable
- Can handle any type of surface
- Very heavy
- Very expensive
- Difficult to maintain
Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner Reviews – An Overview
This is among some of the oldest vacuum cleaners in the market, with its history dating back to 1936, so you know Rainbow vacuums live up to the expectations of many people. Rexair is actually the company that manufactures them. Although you might be familiar with the ‘Rainbow’ name, the company is Rexair.
The filtration system primarily uses water filtration, which is the reason it stands out – instead of the bag model, which is present in many vacuum cleaners. This allows the vacuum to pick up dust and particles effectively without spreading them into the air, as the reservoir contains water that traps all the dust coming in. It also has a HEPA filter that prevents contaminants from releasing back into the air.
Unlike many models, using this cleaner on different surfaces is quite easy. Thanks to the caster wheels, it’s also easy to bend it down and move it around different surfaces – even if it lacks swivel steering.
- Uses water to trap dirt, so no filters or bags to clean
- Has bright LED lights that allow you to see where you’re cleaning
- HEPA Filter
- Caster wheels make it easy to move around, despite weight
- Very strong suction
- Very expensive
- Heavy when compared to other canister vacuum cleaners (about 20 pounds)
- Doesn’t swivel
Miele Vacuum Cleaner Reviews – An Overview
Originating in Germany, Miele manufactures some of the best vacuum cleaners in the industry; coming in a variety of colors and shapes, you’ll easily find something that suits your needs. However, what makes them stand out is their filtration power. They are one of the best options if you happen to struggle with allergies or asthma. These are also great vacuum cleaners for pets, and will have no problems sucking up loose pet hair or fur that might be scattered around your home.
You can also get them in heavier or lightweight styles, but they still are easy to work with. It can be very difficult to use a vacuum cleaner on staircases – but Miele vacuum cleaners are especially great for hardwood floors are not awkward to handle. They have a nice ergonomic handle that makes it easier for you to move around with. Plus, their attachments are also easy to attach and remove.
In addition, you can also use the power feature when vacuuming different surfaces such as upholstery, as it allows you to adjust the suction level. The powerful HEPA filter is the most recognizable feature. It prevents dust from flying back into the air, and filters out particles (even with diameters as small as 0.3 microns), as well as a blower that cleans dust from your surfaces.
Miele vacuums are highly reviewed, dependable, and an overall excellent choice for any homeowner looking for a vacuum cleaner from a brand that they can trust.
Will you get all the bells and whistles as Kirby or Rainbow? Probably not, however, you’ll also be paying considerably less.
- Wide range of canister and upright models
- Very efficient cleaning, even for deep-pile carpets
- Very powerful motor and filtration system
- Has plenty of extra tools for cleaning other surfaces
- Very easy to use
- Can be pricey, depending on the model
Choosing among these three might seem like a difficult task – after all, they are all premium quality vacuum cleaners.
The choice of picking one of these vacuums is dependent on your home needs, budget, and preferences. Some of these vacuums such as Kirby vacuums offer tons of extra features that may be worth taking a look at, if you’re looking for an all-in-one cleaning solution for your home.
However, the best choice in our opinion is a Miele vacuum cleaner – it isn’t too heavy, cleans your carpets and surfaces well, and you can find a design and price range that suits your needs.
Check out our Miele C1 vs C2 vs C3 comparison for an in-depth look at some of Miele’s best performing vacuum cleaners! Or, take a look at our Miele C2 review to find out what specifically makes these vacuums well worth your money.