Of all the different types of carpeting, Berber is one of the most popular choices. This style of carpet initially referred to the hand-crafted rugs that were made by North Africa’s Berber tribes. The materials that the tribes used for their carpets were lightly colored and contained small flecks of darker colors, and those materials were carefully woven using a distinct knot to create unique, vibrant designs. Today’s modern Berber carpeting harkens the look of traditional Berber rugs, as they utilize a similar loop-style weave and the colors are usually light with dark flecks; however, instead of being hand-woven from natural materials, they use synthetic fabrics that are mass-produced by machines.
Modern Berber-style carpeting is visually appealing, highly durable, and a lot easier to maintain than other types of carpet. It’s also available in a wide range of designs, from generic to intricate patterns, so there are styles to suit virtually every taste. Given these benefits, it’s no wonder why Berber carpeting is one of the most popular flooring materials, especially in high-traffic areas.
While Berber carpet is certainly offers a number of advantages, there are some downsides. Namely, vacuuming it can be problematic. Due to the loop construction, if there’s a snag in the carpet, a vacuum head can catch the loop, wrap it around the rotating beater bar, pull it out, and create a “run” or a bare line in the carpet. In order to avoid damaging your carpet, choosing an appropriate vacuum and using the proper strategies is imperative.
What’s the best vacuum for Berber carpet?
After conducting extensive research and assessing numerous different vacuum options, we’ve narrowed down the choices.
Below, you’ll find our top picks for the best vacuums for Berber carpeting.
Features to Look for in a Berber Carpet Vacuum
When you’re looking for a vacuum for Berber carpet, there are several features that you should be on the lookout for. Below, we’ve highlighted some of the key features that make for a high-quality and reliable vacuum cleaner for Berber carpet.
- Beater bar – The beater bar is attached to the head of a vacuum. It’s equipped with small bristles and rotates, so as to agitate the carpet and loosen the dust, dirt, pet hair, and any other debris that may be trapped in the fibers, making it easier to suck up. While a beater bar is certainly useful for many types of carpeting, for Berber, it can be problematic. That’s because the bristles can get caught on a loop or a snag, the rotating brush can pull it, and the carpet can be left with a “run”. Furthermore, many Berber carpets are made of synthetic materials, such as olefin and nylon, which is prone to melting. Due to the high friction created by a beater bar’s rapid spinning, there is a chance that the carpeting itself could actually melt. Yikes! To avoid snagging, running, or melting your carpet, when you’re looking for vacuums for Berber carpets, opt for one that lacks a beater bar or that features a beater bar that can be turned on and off. Alternatively, opt for a vacuum that features a beater bar that has a brush that is specifically designed for Berber carpets. Both their height and speed can be adjusted so you can still reap the benefits that this feature provides, all while vacuuming other areas in your home and without inflicting damage on your carpet.
- Powerful suction is another feature to look for in a Berber carpet vacuum cleaner. Since you can’t rely solely on the beater bar to remove the dirt, powerful suction is a must. If your home features several types of flooring, look for a vacuum that features adjustable suction. In order to avoid Berber carpet vacuum damage, when you’re cleaning the carpets, set the suction to high and when you’re cleaning other flooring materials that cannot tolerate high suction, you can adjust it back to low. If Berber carpeting is the only type of flooring material you have, you could look for a vacuum cleaner that has high, non-adjustable suction.
- When it comes to vacuums, there are two basic types: canister and upright. Canister-styles tend offer a few distinct benefits that make this type a good choice for a Berber carpet vacuum. Firstly, canister vacuums are usually outfitted with interchangeable attachments, which means you’ll be able to flip between a stand-alone suction tool or a rolling bear bar brush to suit the needs of each individual type of flooring you are cleaning. Additionally, canister vacuums tend to be more powerful than upright vacuums. Since Berber carpets need more suction, hence why a canister-style vacuum may be a better choice. However, uprights do offer a few distinct benefits, too. While they aren’t as powerful, on many models, the suction can be adjusted; moreover, a lot of models adjust automatically to accommodate different types of flooring.
- When choosing a vacuum for Berber carpet, make sure to consider the weight of the machine, too. The heavier it is, the greater the chance that it will get caught in the loops and create a snag. Plus, heavier vacuums are more difficult to operate and make cleaning a more frustrating process. Therefore, to avoid Berber carpet vacuum damage, it’s wise to choose a lightweight model.
The 3 Best Vacuums for Berber Carpet
During our hunt for the best Berber carpet vacuum cleaner, we took the above-mentioned features into consideration. We also read through countless customer reviews. Based on our own person experience and assessments, we narrowed down the following three models as the best vacuums for Berber loop carpet:
1. Miele Classic C1 Turbo Team Canister Vacuum Cleaner
Our first choice for the best vacuum cleaner for Berber carpet is the Miele Classic C1 Turbo Team Canister Vacuum Cleaner. With the turbo brush floorhead, which can be adjusted for low and medium-pile carpet and the powerful 1200 W suction, this canister vacuum is ideal for Berber carpets.
Despite its high suction power and the fact that it’s a canister-style vacuum, the Miele Classic C1 is surprisingly lightweight and nimble, so it’s easy to maneuver under and around furniture. There are a total of six suction settings, making this vacuum suitable for all types of flooring , including Berber , high-piled, and low-piled carpet, as well as parquet, hardwood, and tile floors, so if your home features multiple types of flooring materials, you’ll be able to clean them all with the C1 Turbo Team from Miele Classic. Miele vacuums are very versatile, and are generally well-made.
A revolutionary AirClean System, which consists of a genuine Miele FilterBag, a motor protection filter, and an AirClean exhaust filter, this vacuum ensures maximum filtration so you won’t have to worry about harsh contaminants affecting the quality of your indoor air. In fact, after vacuum with the Miele Classic C1 Turbo Team Canister Vacuum, the air in your room will actually be cleaner than it was before you vacuumed; that’s quite impressive, as many vacuums reduce indoor air quality.
Note: The cord is somewhat short. It’s 18 ft long. However, the operating range is much greater than you think. The full operating radius is 29 ft according to Miele. When you consider that, it isn’t as short as it seems.
In addition to the state-of-the-art technologies that this vacuum features, it also comes complete with all of the accessories you’ll need to get your floors clean, including:
- An STB 305-3 TurboTeQ Floorhead
- An SBB Parquet-3 Pure Suction Floorhead
- A dusting brush
- An upholstery tool
- A crevice tool
- An AirClean filter
- A Miele Original AirClean FilterBag (Type GN)
The Miele Classic C1 Turbo Team Canister Vacuum Cleaner is also backed by a full 7-year manufacturer warranty on the motor and casing, as well as a 1-year manufacturer warranty on parts and labor.
2. Oreck Commercial XL21OORHS Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner
If you’re on the market for an upright Berber carpet vacuum, the Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner is a great choice. Because it’s made specifically for low-pile carpets, it won’t get trapped in the loops or damage Berber carpeting. With edge brushes, a balanced brush roll with double helix brushes, and a 12-inch wide cleaning path, this vacuum will suck up all types of dirt and debris from your Berber carpets. The Microsweep feature automatically adjusts to the type of flooring that it’s being used on so you can move from carpet to hard surfaces, like tile, laminate, or wood, without having to stop and make adjustments or worrying about damaging your floors.
The low-profile design of the Oreck Commercial Upright Vacuum cleaner gets up close to cabinets and baseboards and can easily fit under all types of furniture, including desks, chairs, and even low tables, such as coffee tables. With non-marring bumpers along the sides and front of the head, your furniture, cabinets, and baseboards won’t be damaged if you happen to bump into them. A 630 cubic-inch interior top-fill bag contains all dirt and debris and prevents the vacuum from losing suction so that the power can maintain maximum levels, even when the bag is full. When it comes time to change out the bag, doing so is a cinch, too. With a 35-foot, no-tangle power cord and a fingertip-controlled on/off switch, you’ll enjoy hassle-free and painless vacuuming.
Whenever we talk about this vacuum in particular, we always mention that it’s actually approved for ease of use by the Arthritis Foundation. That means it’s perfect for anyone elderly or for those suffering from arthritis.
Backed by a 1-year commercial warranty, as well as a 1-year warranty on the belt, and affordably priced, the Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner will make cleaning low-profile carpets, like Berber, a breeze!
3. Bissell Aeroswift Compact Vacuum Cleaner
For the budget-conscious who don’t want to invest a lot but still want a reliable Berber carpet vacuum cleaner, the Bissell Aeroswift Compact vacuum proves that you don’t have to sacrifice quality for affordability. Since it’s made by Bissell, a leading manufacturer, you know it’s well-made. Plus, because it’s affordably priced, it can easily fit into anyone’s budget.
Offering full-size suction in a compact, yet lightweight upright vacuum, this machine will make cleaning your Berber carpets a cinch. It features Bissell’s revolutionary Cyclonic Technology, which keeps dirt away from the filters so that they remain cleaner and last longer, thereby extending and enhancing the performance of this vacuum. With five adjustable height settings, you can easily switch from cleaning your low-pile Berber carpeting or hard floors to high-piled carpeting in seconds.
The Scatter-Free Technology locks dirt in, and unlike other vacuums, prevents it from scattering outward; a definite benefit for low-profile carpets and hard floors.
The Bissell Aeroswift Compact Vacuum Cleaner comes complete with the following tools, which are conveniently stored on-board, so you can clean more space and more places in your home:
- A TurboBrush
- A 2-in-1 dusting brush
- A crevice tool
- An extension wand
A clear, bottom empty, one-touch dirt tank makes discarding debris an absolute breeze and completely mess-free. Weighing in at just 10 pounds, you won’t have to worry about snags on your Berber carpet or struggle with moving it around. And with a 30-foot power cord, you’ll be able to clean from room to room without having to constantly unplug and search for power outlets. All these awesome features combined with the affordable price make the Bissell Aeroswift a reliable and budget-friendly vacuum cleaner for Berber carpet.
If you’re looking for a high-end vacuum cleaner for Berber carpet, the Miele Classic C1 Turbo Team Canister Vacuum Cleaner is definitely the way to go.
With a powerful 1,200 W vortex motor, suction control, a Turbo Brush Floorhead, the lightweight and maneuverable design, and the advanced AirClean System make the Miele Classic C1 Turbo Team Canister Vacuum Cleaner one of the best vacuums for Berber carpet.
While it is a bit on the pricey side and the cord length isn’t the best, it’s still an exceptional vacuum. Given the fact that it offers such incredible results and that it can be used to clean various types of flooring, the versatility and reliability of this vacuum cleaner make the price worthwhile.
If you’re on the market for an upright vacuum cleaner that is a little more affordably priced, consider the Oreck Commercial XL2100RHS Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner. With its powerful, high-speed, balanced roller brush with double helix brushes and a 12-inch wide cleaning path, this vacuum cleaner is perfect for low-pile carpets, just like Berber. With the automatic floor adjustment, moving from carpets to hard floors will be effortless. The low-profile design can get around and under virtually all types of furniture and also features a long 35 foot power cord!
For budget-conscious shoppers, the Bissell Aeroswift Compact Vacuum Cleaner is an excellent choice. Featuring Bissell’s advanced Cyclonic and Scatter-Free Technologies, adjustable height settings, and all of the handy tools you could possibly need, you can use this vacuum to clean your Berber carpets, hard floors, upholstery, and more. Plus, because it’s so affordably priced, you won’t have to worry about breaking the bank to get a reliable clean.
No matter which of the above-mentioned vacuums you choose, you can have confidence knowing that you’ll be able to get your Berber carpets cleaned without damaging them; not to mention all of the other surfaces you’ll be able to clean!